1a) Bicycle Tour Planning Via Mozambique 2007

INTRODUCTION BIKE TOUR

This bike tour will complete a two year volunteer missionary service which I began at Bvumbwe in April of 2005. There I pioneered a farm for an orphanage from scratch. It has opened so many doors for me. Through this a lot of invitations have come for me to assist others in starting small scale farms to support themselves. It is remarkably easy and cost effective to start a farm in Malawi.



PURPOSE

My trip is a fundraising campaign for the organization STEKA Inc. It is a registered local organization moved by compassion to help the victims of child abuse, as its sole purpose is to prevent the worsening child abuse in Malawi and develop abused children to become reliable and productive citizens.

With the recent increasing reports of child abuses especially on defilement cases in Malawi and increasing of any child abuse the organization had nationalize awareness operation in the interest of educating and express concern to the nation more regarding to the magnitude and severity of child abuse in Malawi. The organization felt strongly that a big campaign walk with collective action will redeem children from the pandemic as child abuses have became an integral part of the widespread domestic violence.



Godknows C.C. Maseko has already completed a similar fundraising campaign walk to STOP CHILD ABUSE. He and other volunteers walked from Blantyre to Zomba, Lilongwe and Mzuzu. The total distance they covered was 898km and they finished the walk on the 26th of February 2007 covering 21 days of walking.

His accomplishments motivate me to be able to complete my bike tour. He is also very excited about my bike tour to South Africa.

TRAINING
My training began in May 2006 by cycling only 5km per day for the first month. Now I can cycle more than 70km per session per day. Since beginning my training I have cycled a total of 6300km. My aim is to cycle 3000km in one month (30 days), averaging 100km per day. The goal is to raise $3000 in total, by fundraising for $US1.00/km.

DIET
While on the bike tour my diet will consist of liquid energy drinks, water, multi-vitamins, fruit and energy bars. In Mozambique and South Africa I will pop in at the odd restaurant to have a treat.

ROUTE

Blantyre
Mwanza

Mozambique
Tete
Luena
Catandica
VANDUZI
Chimoio
Inchope EN1 South
Maxunque
Save
Vilankulo
Mavanza
Morrumbene
Maxixe
Quissico
Xai-Xai
Manhiza
Zimpeto(Maputo)
Matola

Swaziland
Siteki
Nsoko

South-Africa
Enpangeni
Melmoth
Vryheid
Piet Retief
Ermelo
Middelburg
Pretoria.

Route in white and double click on picture



COMMMUNICATION
Each day during my tour I will send and SMS update when possible, as well as kms travelled, my location and any news information, to my friends Rev. Kirk and Jayne Flanagan (missions77@globemw.net) who will update this blogger page. Please sms me on my SA cell # +2782 904 9855 (this is the only cell number that is now working in Swaziland and I will soon be in South Africa!)

EQUIPMENT
The bike is a hybrid 24 speed, Trek mountain bike, with which I will pull a bike dog trailer. This trailer was given to me by friends in Holland. I will pack all my tools, spare parts, tent, sleeping bag, mattress, camera, spare batteries, Christian literature and some medical supplies. I can tow a maximum of 50kg in the trailer, which almost the weight I have lost while training for the trip (and will lose while on the trip).

FUND RAISING
Up to date we have raised MK772 500.00 (Malawian Kwacha)(USD5150) from the business people in Blantyre, also from family, friends and churches.
(I am thankful that I have reached my goal of raising $3,000 that I promised to give to STEKA, a registered local organization moved by compassion to help the victims of child abuse.)

PRAYER
I will need a lot of prayer for protection, strength and to meet the goal that is set before me. God bless you all.

No comments:

contact details

felix1@live.co.za

or

Mobile number +27 83 644 3167
zwani.com

StatCounter


.

financial support

Account Name - Felix Starker
Standard Bank of South Africa

Cheque Account
Account Number - '41-131-598-6'
Branch - Montana
Branch Code - '01-59-45-00'
Swift Code - SBZAZAJJ