3a) Bicycle Tour Planning Via Botswana 2009

INTRODUCTION BIKE TOUR
I’m Felix Starker, the founder of the ASK (Africa Street Kids) Foundation, in Blantyre, Malawi. Malawi has a lot of children who have been abandoned on streets and villages. http://steka-malawi.blogspot.com STEKA (Steps Kids Awareness) is one of the projects that the ASK Foundations finances and it makes a big difference in the lives of street children.
In August 2007, the Steka Foundation started Father House which feeds, clothes, educates and nurtures 17 children ages 1 to 15. A total of 65 children have been helped by the Steka Foundation. See our video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawkZlUjoH8. When we started our house, we did not expect the impact that our street shelter would make on them. Yes, it's an orphanage now and we are proud of what our Father is doing in blessing these lives.

FUNDRAISING,
Caring for these children is a full time ministry for me. In order to raise money to support these children, I am taking my third annual cycling trip from Blantyre to South Africa in August 2009 covering about 3,000km in 30 days.
We also have been blessed with a good piece of land +- 14 acres and close to the Chileka Airport. On this property we would like to build small village that we can accommodate more of these precious children. We have already printed plans for the project. Our first assignment is to drill for water and equip the bore hole with a pump and storage tank with plumbing. The funds that we will raise will also go for this water project. We are very excited.
The cycling itself is such a pleasure to me. A lot of people will ask me all these tough questions: "Is it difficult?", "Any problems?", "How do you do it?" Some will comment "You don't even look like a cyclist." Yes I do not look like a cyclist, but I know that I have the mind of Christ and that makes it count. Not even mentioning the benefits of seeing the change in the street children’s lives.
I have made so many friends locally and abroad through the Steka ministry. Ten years ago I wouldn't have though that my life will turn out to be like this. I love every moment of it.

TRAINING,
I have already started with a training program. Ori meats, a local cold meat processor, have asked me to manage their pig farm in the mornings next to the Chileka district. I am approved as a volunteer farmer and that is the other passion I have besides the helping the street children of Blantyre. The farm is about 16 km from where I stay in Blantyre and to my the home and back is +-32 km and this is part of my preparation for August. All is downhill in the mornings and uphill when going back. Closer to the cycling event I will increase my training to end up doing 60 km per day, and on week-ends I always cycle to Lunzu and back, +- 105 km.

ROUTE
Itinerary for August 2009:

Malawi
Blantyre
Mwansa 104

Mozambique
Tete 118
Bene 144

Zambia
Katete 166
Lusaka 469
Choma 266
Livingstone 182

Zimbabwe
Hwange 108
Bulawayo 330

Botswana
Romokgwenbane 123
Francistown 70
Gaborone 439

South Africa
Mafikeng 77
Zeerust 66
Rustenburg 127 (N4)
Pretoria 124

Estimated Total 3000km in 30 days

Route in white


DIET,
While on the bike tour my diet will consist of liquid energy drinks, ORS, water, multi-vitamins, fruit, peanuts, tinned fish, beans and bread.

COMMMUNICATION,
Each day during my tour I will send an SMS update when possible, as well as km travelled, my location and any news information, to my friends Rev. Kirk and Jayne Flanagan (missions77@globemw.net) who will update the blogger page. Please sms me on my Malawi Cell number +265 9788310. And on FaceBook you can add me as friend by searching Felix Starker - African Street Kids.

EQUIPMENT,
I bought a Rocky Mountain RC30 24 speed, hybrid cycle, with which I will pull a bike dog trailer with all my equipment. This trailer has been given to me by friends in Holland. I will pack all my tools, spare parts, tent, sleeping bag, mattress, camera, spare batteries, food and water, Christian literature and some medical supplies. I can tow a maximum of 50kg in the trailer. I'm so used to this trailer that I can't imagine anything else to use. This trailer has done +-10 000km of training and actual traveling with me.



PRAYER,
I will need a lot of prayer for protection, strength and to meet the goal that is set before me, also to meet people. It's all these people that make my trips worthwhile.

Be blessed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Gili said...

How did the Rocky Mountain RC30 work for you for cycle touring on rough roads? Thinking of using the same bike on an upcoming tour, somewhere in Africa.

contact details

felix1@live.co.za

or

Mobile number +27 83 644 3167
zwani.com

StatCounter


.

financial support

Account Name - Felix Starker
Standard Bank of South Africa

Cheque Account
Account Number - '41-131-598-6'
Branch - Montana
Branch Code - '01-59-45-00'
Swift Code - SBZAZAJJ